Thursday, February 4, 2010

Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Gravy- Cooking Light

When I first started on my project, I was adament that I had to follow the recipe 100% to have it count. Now that I'm further along, I am realizing that I need to have some flexibility to make it really work. Take this recipe for example.... I love mushrooms and have always tossed aside recipes with it. Shawn finally agreed that I can make things with mushrooms as long as they are easy to locate and pick out. So, it's on!!! He also loves steak tips, so I picked this as the recipe of the week and decided to add onions along with the mushrooms so he could enjoy the added texture of the veggies.

This was another really easy recipe to make. I sliced up the steak and sauteed it until browned, then set aside. Then I sauteed up the shallots, mushrooms, and onions, added the soy sauce, and sprinkled the flour over it to thicken. After a minute I added the broth and stirred constantly until the sauce was smooth and all the bits from the pan had come up. I am becoming a deglazing master! I love the added flavor and getting up the bits from the pan when I'm sauteeing makes it easier to clean later. Added bonus!

Another subsitution, and a big one, but I took a tip from the comments section and served everything over mashed potatoes. We've been having pasta so often that we needed a switch up! It was delicious!! The meat tasted great and the soy sauce gave a wonderful flavor to the dish. I definitely want to try this with noodles next time and will probably cook the onions a few minutes longer than I did this time.

Another tasty addition!!

Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Gravy- Cooking Light
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1949742

No comments:

Post a Comment