Saturday, February 6, 2010

Fettuccini Alfredo with Bacon- Cooking Light

OK, so now that I'm truly tracking these I can see that I'm totally getting my moneys worth on my Cooking Light subscription! I was excited that just when I started getting into using applewood smoked bacon, Cooking Light featured thick cut bacon in an issue. The theory is that when sparingly used, and in substitution of another meat, it can add a lot of flavor with less calories than a full serving of protein. I decided to try the fettuccini recipe because fettuccini alfredo is one of Shawn's favorite dishes.

I've been buying bacon at Trader Joe's (my favorite store in the world) and love it!! The applewood smoked one has about 12 slices per package and is about 1/4 inch thick. I love my bacon a little well done and when you use this type it still keeps a chewiness to it. Yum! I started by chopping the bacon and sauteeing it on medium heat for a few minutes, until crisp. I added garlic & flour to the grease to create a roux, then added milk and stirred to make the cream sauce. Then you add the parmesan cheese a little at a time. Stir with cooked pasta and top with bacon!

I used Springfield garlic & basil fettuccini (a local brand) that I got at the nearby bodega. I liked the texture, but the flavor didn't quite go with the sauce. Shawn didn't notice it, but I definitely did. The sauce was very tasty and I loved the crisp bacon. You could tell that the sauce was a light version, as it wasn't as creamy, but it had a nice texture and tasted delicious. I would definitely make this again, but with a different pasta.

Fettuccini Alfredo with Bacon- Cooking Light
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1949744

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...will I get to try one of your recipes next week when I am down??? Feel free to experiment with me! ;)

    ReplyDelete