Saturday, January 30, 2010

Penne with Sausage, Garlic, & Broccoli Rabe- Cooking Light

Once I decided that I really want us to start eating healthier I subscribed to Cooking Light magazine. This is such a great magazine- I can't believe I waited so long for it to go on my radar! They always have heathy recipes at various skill levels. When I received my first issue, I saw this recipe and smiled to myself. The previous day, my boss had mentioned a great meal that his wife had made and it looked suspiciosly like the one I was looking at! I asked if she was a subscriber and he confirmed it!

I have never cooked with broccoli rabe before. Shawn's a big fan, but I've always preferred spinach with it's milder flavor. I found it amongst the greens in the produce section and decided that this was the week to try the recipe! Of course, as the week went on I kept pushing it back and by last night I was seriously torn between the pasta and ordering some takeout!! Economics and healthy eating willpower won over and I started on the dish.

With only 5 ingredients, it's extremely simple. I started trimmed the broccoli rabe and realized that I wasn't entirely sure how much to trim off. I had more than needed, so decided to be a little agressive with my trimming, then added the stalks to the veggie parts I keep in the freezer for stock making. I kept only the buds on the top with some leaves for good measure. Per the recipe, I put the greens in boiling water for 2 minutes, then plunged it in ice water to set (also known as blanching). It brings out the green color and partially cooks the greens. This method is also great for plain broccoli or asparagus.

Once the broccoli rabe was out of the pot, I kept the water boiling and added the pasta. I sauteed the turkey sausage til browned and added the garlic, then the rabe, chopped coarsly. The pasta finished around the same time everything else was done. You save 1/4 cup of the liquid, which makes for a nice dimention to the sauce, and drain. Add pasta & liquid, cook one more minute, and voila! Dinner!

Again, simple easy meal. I used a few more pots than I like to with a quick meal, but it was really delicious. The rabe was perfect- not too bitter, great consistancy.... Shawn declared that I "nailed it".

Penne with Sausage, Garlic, & Broccoli Rabe- Cooking Light Magazine
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1932654

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. This looks good. I am going to have to try it. What is the difference between broccoli rabe and broccoli?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broccoli Rabe is more bitter and has less flowers. It's also called rapini.

    ReplyDelete