Sunday, February 21, 2010

Overnight Honey Almond Multigrain Cereal- Cooking Light

Like millions of Americans, I have high cholesteral. I know what I'm supposed to eat, and not eat, but my love of good food makes it so tough! I try to incorporate things into my diet to improve my numbers, specifically oats. One of my biggest challenge with this is that I am not the hugest fan of oatmeal. I've tried it again and again and am finally at the point where I can stand it. I used to work at a hotel where I could get fresh oatmeal whenever I chose and always prefer when it is a little dryer versus when it's runny. Because of this, I just cannot wrap my palate around instant oatmeal. Since leaving that hotel, I'm stuck trying to find options of how to eat oatmeal at work and came across this recipe in Cooking Light.

The recipe calls for steel cut oats, which is my favorite variation of oatmeal. It's cut into small pieces, rather than flakes, and ends up with an almost crunchy texture, similar to tobiko or caviar. You also add barley, which is a softer texture and a nice compliment.

It's pretty easy to set up- you combine the steel cut oats and barley with water, soak overnight, then microwave for 6 minutes, stirring at 3 minutes. Add salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon and top with almonds and honey. I took the spices in a little container to add and always keep nuts and honey in my desk, so I was ready for that part.

The cereal was delicious! I had to cook it a little longer than it called for, but it was really tasty and filling. My coworker was jealous over the fabulous smell that came from the spices. I could barely finish what I had, so I could definitely share with someone next time.

Overnight Honey Almond Multigrain Cereal- Cooking Light
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1949685

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious. I remember how good your crockpot oatmeal was. I really like the instant but can only eat the real Quaker Oats brand. The store brand is always so gross.

    ReplyDelete