Monday, February 8, 2010

Stromboli- Parenting Magazine

We just got smacked with a crazy snow storm, which led me to cook all weekend long. A lot of what I made were old favorites (lasagne, turkey BLTs, buffalo chicken dip) but I wanted to get a few new ones rolling, too. I thought stromboli would be a good Superbowl Day option.

I found this in an old Parenting Magazine and copied it down, knowing I'd try it out one day. I looooove stromboli, but haven't been able to master the cooking times. Another weird thing is that very few places in this area actually roll their stromboli- they make it more like a folded pizza. This is ridiculous to me! I finally found a place that folds it at least in a stromboli shape and has flavor, but this is definitely something that I want to master on my own.

The recipe calls for Pillsbury pizza dough, which is simple enough. Baking is not a strong suit of mine and I like that the pizza dough comes in a square already!! Makes life a little more simple. I have minimal counter space, so I wrapped the cookie sheet in saran wrap and used it as my work station on the stove. Sprinkled flour, rolled out the dough, and topped with turkey pepperoni and cheese. I rolled up the stromboli, brushed it with an egg mixture and bake @ 400 for 20 minutes. Not only did the saran wrap make for easy cleanup, but it also made rolling the stromboli a cinch!

First off, I love the use of turkey pepperoni instead of regular for this!!! It gave flavor with less grease. The best part was that the cooking time was spot on. The egg wash gave it a nice, cripsy, golden crust and the inside was perfectly cooked. I'll add a little more cheese next time (because cheese is delicious!) but I was really happy with the end product.

Stromboli- Parents Magazine
1 canister pizza dough
1 cup mozzarella cheese
2 oz pepperoni

1 egg, mixed with 1 Tbsp water

1 comment:

  1. I made the buffalo chicken dip for the superbowl yesterday, thanks to you submitting the recipe to the mb cookbook-it was a hit! Soo tasty! :) Tom also made stromboli which was also good...and he too used turkey pepperoni!

    -Kristina (too lazy to login as JerseyGirl tonight ;))

    ReplyDelete