Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My first blog!

I love cookbooks. I have a shelf full of them, cut them from magazines, but oddly enough, I rarely use them! When I want to try something new I'll typically take out 4-5 cookbooks and create my own version of making what I want to make. My birthday waas in November and I decided on a resolution that, I'm excited to say, I have kept all the way into the holidays!
I decided that for the next year I would make at least one new recipe every week. The key is that the recipe has to be created to spec and it has to be something I haven't made before. It's been so much fun and is also helping us to be more frugal with groceries and planning menus. I'm also making a point to try and do some healthier recipes to make cutting fat and/or carbs more fun. I use the circular each week to see what's on sale, then get out my recipe books and decide what to make.
Here's a quick update on what I've made so far. I missed only one week, which was this past week, and am ready to go full force into 2010! Since some people have shown some interest, I figured I'd share my recipes (good and bad) in my very first blog. Enjoy!

Spice Rubbed Braised Beef- Cooking Light
very tasty and well cooked. I liked the sauce method and think I might use it next time I make red gravy.
Chicken Taco with Avocado Salsa- Cooking Light
these were fantastic! This was also the recipe that got me started on my resolution:)
Best Darn Meatloaf- You Enjoy My Cookbook
thanks, Jennie!! So good- love the cheese in the middle
Baked Pork Chops with Brown Rice- Kitchen Secrets
these were delicious, but looked really plain. I'd add some parsley or something the next time.
Brussel Sprouts- All You
needed to be boiled for longer than called for. they were good, but still won't be good enough to talk SB into loving sprouts!
Spinach Gratin- Barefoot Contessa
OK, so this isn't a new recipe, but so great I had to put it on here!
Bolognese Sauce- Emeril
I was really excited for my first attempt at ragu, which was my most elaborate foray in my new recipes. It was fantastic!! I also used the leftovers for baked ziti, which rocked the house.
Corn, Bacon, Potato Chowder- Aunt Jill
delicious!
Black Bean Tostados- All You
The method to cook the beans is a keeper, but we weren't a fan of the tostados themselves. SB told me that he's never been so annoyed at a food before!
Rocky Road Fudge- Peeps Cookbook
I tried this at a party and went home to make two more batches. So easy and so delicious!!
Cheesy Chile Rice- All You
This was fantastic! Nice switch up from usual rice or potatoes

So, here I am! In the new year and haven't made anything yet, but am planning on trying out a newbie tomorrow. I'll keep you posted and hope you all enjoy my findings.

4 comments:

  1. Jennie and I were just talking about your resolution last night-I think it's a great idea and look forward to hearing about and trying your recipes! I'll have to do my part and share some with you as well. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Jess! You've definitely inspired me! And, I want that delicious jambalaya recipe you brought to the shore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! And Jennie- the jambalaya didn't make the list because it was from a box! Zatarain's reduced sodium jambalaya mix. I added TJ's chicken andouille sausge, ham, and shredded chicken (which I make in the crockpot) with veggies. I'm glad you liked it! I tried a homemade version last week that was good, but not nearly as tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock on Jess!!! I've told some of my friends that you are doing this and they thought it was cool!

    Can I have the recipe for the chicken tacos with Avocado Salsa. That sounds VERY yummy!

    P.S. Have you tried Dad's recipe for jambalaya on the family website? Hopefully the homemade one you are talking about was not his! ;)

    ReplyDelete