Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Stuff- You Enjoy My Cookbook

A few years ago my friends Jennie and Kristina created a cookbook. They collected recipes from a group of friends who are bonded together by their love of music and created a wonderful collaboration titled "You Enjoy my Cookbook". Of all the cookbooks that I drag out and leaf through on a regular basis, this is one of my favorites for a few reasons.
1. The recipes are recommended by people that I know and trust.
2. Some of the recipes were submitted by yours truly!
3. It's a lot easier to get Shawn to try new foods when they come from someone he knows!

I bought a package of turkey sausage on sale at the Acme this weekend and decided it would be the subject of this week's project. After toying with a few recipes, I opted for "The Stuff" because it featured my key ingredient with other simple ones and, hell- it has an awesome name. It features turkey sausage, onions, garlic, bell peppers, kidney beans, and diced tomatoes served over pasta. You sautee up the onions and garlic, add the sausage. Brown and at the last minute add the peppers, then the beans and tomatoes. Serve.

The recipe was super easy to make and took all of about 20 minutes start to finish. The finished product was beautiful, kind of like chili but cleaner. I wasn't sure how I'd like it though- I thought it might be bland and was unsure about the recipe's instructions to leave the peppers crisp. Was I wrong! This recipe really surprised with how much we enjoyed it! The flavors and textures worked together beautifully. Shawn loved it, too. It was quite filling and the meal made enough for us each to pack some for lunch tomorrow. I may, however, forgo my leftovers to see how my son, John, would like it. I think he'll like the colors and the fact that he can see what it is he's eating, but you never really know with him! One day he loves something and the next it's cause for meltdown... but I digress...

Overall The Stuff is a keeper and with the cost, ease, and healthy factors it's definitely getting put into our rotation. Thanks, Capt Mike!

The Stuff
1 pkg turkey sausage
2 bell peppers of different colors
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 jalepeno (optional)
1 small can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
2 small can diced or crushed tomatoes

1. Chop onion into bite sized pieces and mince or press garlic. Sautee in 1Tbsp olive oil for 1 minute
2. If you like, remove casings from sausages- chop into bite sized pieces. Add to onions and garlic. Brown thoroughly.
3. You can drain the fat from the sausage, or leave it in. Add peppers.
4. Drain canned beans & tomatoes, add. Cook until just hot (peppers should still be crisp. If there's a lot of juice, you can drain or simmer on low, but don't overcook the peppers
5. Serve over rice or pasta

2 comments:

  1. I've wanted to try this recipe-and I think I will! Andy won't eat bell peppers, especially if they're crisp, but I imagine this would still be good w/o the peppers. Frozen peas would probably be good in this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the Jersey Girl....I've wanted to try this but since I don't like sausage, I'd probably put in some ground turkey! Getting Jimmy to eat the onions and peppers would be another story! Thanks for sharing Jess! Can't wait to see what next weeks meal brings. :)

    ReplyDelete