Friday, January 15, 2010

Becoming Creative with My New Techniques

I didn't exactly make a new recipe, but had a lot of fun last night making something new by using techniques from different recipes that I've used throughout the project. I had some ground turkey and wanted to make something Mexican-ish. I was originally going to try a mexi-meatloaf, but the meat wasn't quite thawed enough to mold, so I decided to get creative.

First, I browned the turkey and added Old El Paso Reduced Sodium Taco Seasoning. Basic, but this is an old staple of ours. In another pan, I used the theory from my Black Bean Tostatos to create a bean dish. The original recipe called for sauteeing one chopped onion & one minced garlic clove for a few minutes, then adding a can of drained and rinsed black beans, salt, pepper, and mash with a potato masher. It was easy and delicious. I only had half an onion and wanted to add some veggie element to my dish, so I used less onion and added half a zucchini, cut in a small dice, to the onions before adding the beans.

Side note- I love onions and in creating these recipes I have realized that I don't use enough when I cook. A whole onion seems like a lot to me, but when using only half I could really tell the flavor difference. It was bland and needed more salt than the first time I made it. Interesting....

Anyway, the zucchini was perfect with the beans and was a nice way to add a green vegetable to the meal. I'll have to try this method the next time I make my mexi lasagne!

To finish off the meal, I took some corn tortillas and (using the method from my Chicken Tacos with Avocado Salsa) placed them one at a time directly over the flame on my gas stove. 10 seconds on either side browned them a little and gave a nice consistancy to them.

I really liked this quickly thrown together meal! We put beans and meat on the tortillas with some cheese and a little sour cream. Fantastic! The corn tortillas did a good job of holding everything together without breaking and I was filled from 3 tacos.

1 comment:

  1. Next time I make tacos I'm heating them over the flame like you do-sounds like they're a lot tastier than just heating up in the microwave!

    ReplyDelete