Monday, March 7, 2011

Veal Stew with Tomatoes- How to Cook Everything

A few weeks ago, when I bought the short ribs, I also bought a few veal shoulder cube steaks as an alternative for dinner. I didn't realize at the time that veal cube steaks and veal steaks/ cutlets are not the same thing. I looked around and found an easy braising recipe that I thought would be a good way to ease into cooking this new cut of meat. The recipe says that it should be served with rice, noodles, or bread to soak up the sauces. I opted for egg noodles simply because I like egg noodles. Correction- I love egg noodles!

The meat defrosted easily overnight and was perfect for slicing and preparing the next day. I cut the steaks into 1 inch pieces and sauteed them in butter, in batches so they weren't crowded, until browned on all sides. Put them on a plate and wiped the pan clean. I sauteed the onions for about 5-10 minutes, until softened, and then added the garlic. Added a touch of salt, pepper, and white wine (I keep a cheap bottle in the fridge for cooking) and simmered for a minute.

The recipe specifies that you can use canned or fresh tomatoes, so I used canned tomatoes, rinsed thoroughly. I added them with the remaining spices, returned the veal to the skillet, and turned on low for about an hour. I was concerned that there wasn't enough liquid to properly braise the veal because I halved the recipe and the liquid covered only half of the meat. I stirred it every 20 minutes or so and cooked up the noodles right before serving. You could add olives at the end, but the step was optional and neither of us really care for olives, so I skipped that part.

The Verdict- The veal was absolutely fantastic! So amazingly tender. It was really, really good. I might try it with beef or chicken stock instead of wine next time to cut back on a light acidity from the wine and the tomatoes. As far as the noodles go, I hadn't had egg noodles in a while and forgot how much I absolutely love them. That being said, they didn't really do anything for the dish. I think that the stock exchange (he-he) and pairing the dish with some orzo risotto, cheesy grits, or a nice crusty bread would take this up a few more notches.

Veal Stew with Tomatoes- How to Cook Everything- Mark Bittman

3Tbsp butter or olive oil
1 1/2- 2lbs lean veal stew meat, cut into 1" chunks
1c diced onions
1tsp diced onions
1tsp minced garlic
salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
1c white wine, meat, or vegetable stock, or water
2c cored & chopped tomatoes (canned are fine; drain them first)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp minced fresh thyme or rosemary leaves or 1/2 tsp dried thyme or crumbled rosemary
1c good pitted black olives (optional)

Place a large skillet, preferably non-stick, over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil or butter. A minute late, when the butter foam subsides or the first wisps of smoke rise from the oil, brown the veal chunks, adding a few at a time, turning them to brown all over, and removing the pieces as they brown. Take your time and don't crowd the pan, or they will not brown properly.

Wipe out the pan, lower the heat to medium, add the remaining butter or oil, and cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the salt, pepper, & wine, bring to a boil and let cook for 1 minute

Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme or rosemary, and bring to a simmer. Return the veal to the skillet, turn the heat to very low, cover and cook, stirring every now and then, until the veal is tender, 45 minutes or more. Add the olives, if you like. Taste and correct seasoning, if necessary, then serve with bread, rice, or noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment