Monday, March 7, 2011

Spicy Crunchy Chickpeas- All You

I love a good snack!! Something about working in an office makes me ravenous on a daily basis around 3 or 4pm. I try to keep healthy snacks on hand in my desk to keep me on track and away from the candy. I have had this recipe for quite a while and was so intrigued to try it. I decided to put it all together and see how it came out before testing it out on others.

I started by rinsing a can of chickpeas and then dried them with some paper towels. I mixed the spices together with a tablespoon of olive oil, mixed it with the beans, and laid it all out on a sheet pan. Baked at 400 for 50 minutes, while shaking the pan every 10 minutes or so. Voila! When they came out of the oven they were crispy, but not crunchy. That comes after they cool. You definitely need to cool them for about 30 minutes before putting in a bowl or airtight container.

The Verdict! The next day they were crunchy and addictive. I would make this again and again, however I wouldn't use the same spice combination. I'm not a fan of cinnamon and it really shone through all of the other spices. I recently found another version that uses salt, pepper, and garam masala and I'm totally trying it. I love that it's a protein filled snack that's crunchy, salty, and costs about $2 to make a huge batch of it! It's totally on.

Spicy Crunchy Chickpeas- All You

2Tbsp olive oil
1tsp cinnamon
1tsp cumin
1tsp allspice
1tsp salt
1/2tsp pepper
2 15oz cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained, thoroughly patted dry

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. In a large bowl, combine olive oil with spices; add chickpeas, and toss to coat thoroughly. Turn chickpeas out onto baking sheet and roast, stirring or shaking the baking sheet often, until chickpeas are browned and crunchy, 45- 50 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool before serving, stirring occasionally.

*You can toss in a generous pinch of cayenne or chili powder with the spices

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm sounds good! Except for the allspice. Blech. I read a similar recipe in Everyday Food not long ago....here you go!

    http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/crunchy-paprika-chickpeas

    Ingredients

    Makes 2 cups

    * 2 cans (15 1/2 ounces each) chickpeas
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil, to coat
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
    * 1 teaspoon hot or sweet paprika

    Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Drain and rinse chickpeas; pat dry with paper towels. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet; toss with olive oil to coat. Spread in a single layer; roast until deep brown and crispy, tossing occasionally, 35 to 40 minutes.
    2. Sprinkle with salt and paprika; roast 2 to 3 minutes more. Cool completely on a paper-towel-lined plate. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 2 days.

    ReplyDelete