Monday, March 14, 2011

London Broil II- AllRecipes.com

I have to start by saying that this might be the most boring title of any recipe that I've prepared so far.... I guess that I could have prepared London Broil I, but this one caught my eye first! London broil is a tempermental piece of meat. I grew up thinking that I hated steak until I was older and had steak prepared the right way. By "the right way", I mean medium to medium rare so it's tender, bloody, and delicious. The wrong way, which is how my mother always prepared it, was medium well to well done, little to no seasoning, and cut thickly on the grain. I have memories of spitting pieces of steak into my napkin simply because my jaw was too tired to keep chewing them. I remember the first time that I had london broil prepared properly and my amazement at how delicious it could be! After Shawn made a successful attempt on the grill, I was exited to have an affordable option for steak. I bought some on sale this week and in a measure to conserve time, energy, and propane I found a recipe with a broil option.

I scored the meat in a diamond pattern. They said to cut about 1/8 inch in but apparantly my knife is sharper than I realized and I cut in about 1/4-1/2 inch in some spots. I mixed up the marinade (halving the ingredients to accommodate the size of meat that I was cooking) and poured it into a plastic bag with the steak. Put it in the fridge to marinade until dinner.

Dinner was ready very quickly. I sauteed up some pierogies with onions, heated up leftover broccoli & cauliflower from the day before, and they were ready by the time that the steak was. I broiled it for 8 minutes on each side and it was cooked to a perfect medium with a cripsy crust. Looked beautiful! The end result..... well, I think that I need to marinade it longer next time. The flavor was good, but didn't shine through and the steak was pretty tough. Kind of a disappointment. I'll try again but marinade overnight to try and toughen up the meat and really bring out the flavor.

London Broil II- AllRecipes.com
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/london-broil-ii/Detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment