Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thrown Together Noodle Soup- Jess's creation

I love vegetables.  I really do; and almost every kind, too.  I could easily be a vegetarian if I didn't like meat so much.  Shawn and John like them, too, but not at the level that I do.  So when I'm on my own for lunch or dinner, I rotate through about 4-5 chock-full-of-veggie dishes.  This is one of my favorites.  Shawn saw me eating some the other night and mentioned that I should put it out for you fine folks to enjoy. 

I start off with some homemade broth or a can of low sodium broth if I don't have any made at the time.  I bring about 2 cups worth to a boil and throw in a few chopped cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of minced ginger (or a few dashs of dried if one or neither are on hand), and the tougher of my chosen veggies.  This time it was sliced celery, chopped carrots, and small florets of broccoli.  I let these boil up for a few minutes, adding in a few dashes of soy sauce and Sriracha hot sauce.  Next I add in the noodles.  Usually I use the noodles from a ramen noodle packet, tossing the flavor packet in the trash where I believe it belongs.  The noodles cook up quickly and are always delicious.  Tastes like college, but better.  I had some leftover whole wheat angel hair that I used instead.  I threw it in with some frozen spinach (baby spinach works here, too) and sliced mushrooms and let it all simmer for a few minutes.  If you want to add some cooked shredded chicken, pork, or tofu, this is the perfect time. 

Once its all ready, I turn off the flame and let the soup sit for a few minutes to cool.  Its HOT- trust me.  I usually taste the broth at this point to see if it needs anything- more salt is sometimes needed.  A touch of curry paste can be nice, too.  I serve it in a huge bowl and eat it with a spoon and a fork.  I like to put my face over it a bit while I eat it to clear my sinuses, too. 

So there you have it.  Jess's homemade noodle soup.  Healthy, delicious, one pot, goodness. 

Noodle Soup
2 cups broth
chopped vegetables (any combination of celery, carrots, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, cabbage, or whatever you like and/or have available)
garlic (fresh is better, but dried works)
ginger (fresh is better, but dried works)
soy sauce
hot sauce
ramen noodles or leftover spaghetti
Shredded cooked meat or diced tofu (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment