Saturday, March 31, 2012

Reggie's Steak with Garlic Chive Butter

One of my responsibility as a hotel salesperson is to walk the lobby one day a week.  We each take turns stand in the lobby between 7 and 8:15am to greet guests and welcome them to the day.  Or to tell them where the restaurant and bathrooms are, which is what I do about 90% of the time.  It gets a bit monotonous.  My day is Fridays which is nice because I may start the day off earlier than normal but I get to leave early every Friday.  This particular Friday I was chatting with a coworker from another department and we got to talking about food, smokers, grilling, etc.  He claimed to be a "beast" on the grill and proceeded to tell me about his steak.  I'll try to be as descriptive as he was:

He starts with a steak thats 3/4 to an inch thick and seasons each side with salt and pepper.  3 times the normal amount, because most of it will roll off with the juices later on.  Turn the grill all the way up, as high as it'll go, get it good and hot, and pop the steaks on.  4 minutes on one side, 4 1/2 minutes on the other and remove.  Top with a small pat of butter, mixed with garlic & chives, and let sit for 2 minutes before serving.  Should be a perfect medium/ medium rare.  He told me it'll be so good Shawn's want to marry me twice.  I don't know about Shawn, but the decription left this lady absolutely salivating for steak.  Maybe its the pregnancy hormones (I'm assuming if you're reading this, you're aware of my current state) but I HAD to have steak and HAD to prepare it exactly as he said. 

So, here goes the crazy lady shopping for steak.  Anyone whos been pregnant, or lived with someone who has been, knows that we're very visual and just a little bit nuts about food.  I had an exact picture of what my steak would look like and went to 2 stores, looking at almost ever steak they had, before I selected 2 perfect steaks for Shawn and I.  They weren't even the same kind!   One was a ribeye, the other a NY strip.  But both met my specifically insane size/ fat/ marbling ratio and they came home with me for grilling.

Dinner itself took little time to put together.  I had taken some butter out earlier in the afternoon to soften and added a minced clove of garlic and some chopped chives.  We took the steaks out of the fridge, added salt and pepper, and let them sit at room temperature while the grill heated up.  Shawn took them outside about 10 minutes after the grill was turned on and followed the timing exactly.  I steamed up some asparagus, heated up some mashed potatoes, and made garlic toast with some of the extra butter.  He was back in the kitchen 8 1/2 minutes later with some gorgeous steaks.  I topped each with a little butter and let it sit while I pulled the rest together. 

Sorry for the lack of photos, but once we got going there was no stopping.  We started by cutting into the steaks to check the doneness and they were absolutely perfect.  Shawn was kind enough to share both steaks so that we (I) could try each type.  They were fantastic and exactly as I had dreamed.  There was no A1 or steak sauce needed for these bad boys!  Crispy edges, perfectly pink in the center, and just the right amount of spices.  Juicy and amazing.  I can't wait to thank Reggie for his recommendation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment