Monday, March 19, 2012

Cabbage & Potato Bake- Emeril Lagasse

I have to be honest.... This is the second time that I've made this recipe.  My first try was while I was on hiatus and it was amazing.  So amazing that I planned, and failed, to type it up and post it.  So now that I'm back on the blogging bandwagon and making it a second time (still needing to follow the recipe, though) I decided that it was worthy of your reading.  As much as I love my cookbooks, online recipes truly rock.  They're search friendly, I can check out reviews, and I can also pull them up on my smartphone to review while cooking.  My first time around, I found this when looking for a way to use the huge head of cabbage that I picked up at a farmers market over the summer.  It includes some of the most beautiful ingredients of the world... bacon, onions, cabbage, and potatoes.  Oh, glorious dish!

So here we are just after St Pattys day and guess what I have?  Cabbage, potatoes, onions... and bacon in the fridge.  It was on.  I diced up 5 pieces of thick cut bacon and fried it up for about 5 minutes, and then added 2 sliced onion.  While it softened up, I cut the cabbage into eighths and halved a few red potatoes.  I alternated the pieces in a baking dish, topped it with the bacon and onion mixture, and then poured 2 cups of broth over it all.  I originally used chicken broth, but had some gorgeous broth that I made with a pork bone the night before.  I used that instead- wouldn't you?   Once the dish was wrapped tight with foil, it went in the oven for 1 1/2 hours at 375.  Let it sit for another 15 while I heated up the leftover corned beef and it was ready.

Before:
 After:

Sooooo gooooood..... it could always use more bacon (what dish can't?) but I wanted to keep it a little lighter.  The onions really soften up and mix with the cabbage beautifully when you start slicing it up.  The broth is just amazing.  It gathers the bacon, onion, cabbage flavor and you just want to spoon it up all over everything.  In my onion, the potatoes kind of fade away in this dish.  You don't need them, other than to make it a one pot side dish.  They're good; they just don't shine alongside the rest.  This would be a perfect dish for someone on Atkins or who was trying to cut out carbs.  Its cheap, easy, healthy, and amazing.  Make it.  You'll thank me. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cabbage-and-potato-bake-recipe/index.html

1 comment: