Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Simply Sensational Potato Salad- Marukan Rice Vinegar Bottle

Shawn recently got a new smoker for his birthday and we are very excited to be trying out new things on it! I love when spring rolls around and the weather starts getting nice.... we have a beautiful screened in porch with speakers outside for music and we really try and take advantage of it when the weather is nice. I especially love this time of year because a lot of the cooking responsibilities shift over. Shawn's the griller of the family so instead of complete dinner management I get downgraded to sides and sauces. I don't mind- it gives me a little extra free time at the end of the evenings.

This weekend was our second foray into the world of smoking meats. Shawn has been having a lot of fun looking up BBQ sauces and rub recipes and will be hijacking this blog on a occasion to discuss his new adventures. We picked up some ribs from the supermarket and I decided to make some potato salad to go with it. Originally I was going to make the potato salad from my earlier blog posting, but realized at the last minute that I didn't have white wine vinegar. I went to replace it with rice vinegar and then realized that there was a recipe on the back of the bottle for potato salad! It was simpler than the one I was about to make, slightly healthier, and qualified as a new recipe, so I went for it!

I boiled the potatoes for 20 minutes, until tender, and whisked the dressing while the potatoes cooked. It was simple as anything- equal parts of mayo, dijon mustard, and vinegar with green onions. Mix while hot, and then let the salad cool in the fridge for a few hours.

I brought it out when the time came for dinner- quick and easy. The dressing had a nice color, but the salad itself wasn't very aesthetic. It had a yellowish color from the mustard and only the touch of green from the scallions to take away from it. It was a little heavier on the vinegar than I prefer, but I should expect that when the recipe comes from a vinegar bottle! I enjoyed it this time around, but will probably make the other recipe the next time I make an attempt.

Simply Sensational Potato Salad- Marukan Rice Vinegar Bottle
1/4c mayonnaise
1/4c rice vinegar
1/4c dijon mustard
4 large red skin potatoes, skin on, cooked, & cubed
3 green onions, sliced

Whisk together the first three ingredients until smooth. Place potatoes & onions in bowl. Pour sufficient mayonnaise mixture to coat, toss well. Chill for at least one hour.
Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment