Sunday, February 14, 2010

Asparagus with Shallot Butter- Minute Meals; 3 ways to Dinner

I received this book about 5 years ago as a holiday gift and I've made one or two thing from it. I like the format- it basically breaks an entire 30 minute meal into steps and gives you a shopping list for everything in the meal. The book breaks itself down by the main ingredient, so the book starts with 3 recipes for boneless chicken breasts, then 2 for chicken thighs, 3 for chicken tenders, and so on. The recipe I picked came from a meal with chicken and sweet potatoes, but I used it as a side with my standard pork chops with gravy and stuffing. I wanted to make an asparagus dish and had shallots on hand, so it was an easy pick!

I started by boiling the asparagus in a large skillet for 4-6 minutes. I drained them and added thinly sliced shallots with butter & lemon juice. The end result was delicious! I loved the addition of the shallots and the lemon added a nice touch to the dish.

Asparagus with Shallot Butter- Minute Meals
1 lb thin asparagus
2 shallots, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
S&P

1. Trim asparagus
2. Fill a large skillet with 1 inch water, cover, and bring to a boil. Add asparagus, bring water back to a boil, and simmer for 4-6 minutes, or until just crisp tender. Drain and transfer to serving dish
3. In the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat for about 1 minute, or until beginning to brown. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until softened. Swirl in the lemon juice and season with salt & pepper. Pour butter over asparagus. Cover to keep warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment