Saturday, February 11, 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits- How to Cook Everything

This cold really knocked us all down for about 2 weeks now.  We're home with few plans this weekend for the second "snowstorm" of the year (Saturday afternoon and its already melted) and I have a mental list going of what I am going to cook for the next day or so.  I definitely wanted to get a recipe in and was trying to figure out what I could create by using a recipe, things that I have in house, and something that was on the agenda for the weekend menu.  This part of the recipe planning can actually be tough sometimes.  I selected the biscuits mainly because they'd go with anything and also because I had some buttermilk in the fridge that I could use.  I was anxious, given my many failures at baking, but you can't improve if you don't try, right?!

I measured out 2 cups of flour into the food processor and added baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Pulsed them for a few seconds and then added cut up pieces of unsalted butter.  The recipe called for 2-5 tablespoons.  I knew that we weren't adding butter after baking, so I erred on the higher side.  Oh, and butter is really damn tasty.  That's another reason.  I blended the butter in by pulsing a few more times.  So quick!!  I can't believe I went so long without one of these wonderful machines.

I started adding the buttermilk and quickly realized that the blades were going to make the next part of the recipe a logistical nightmare.  I made the excellent decision to take the mix out of the processor, put it into a bowl, and then stirred in a cup of buttermilk slowly with a large spoon until it was in a ball.  Once the dough was ready, I had 2 options.  You can press it out and cut circles out for a more formed biscuit or you can spoon it onto the sheet for the "drop biscuit" method.  I chose the drop method for many reasons.  One, its quicker.  Two, I have limited counter space and rolling things out is a total pain.  Three, I actually prefer the texture of drop biscuits and the crunchiness that comes from the uneven surface. 

I was able to gain about 14 biscuits by spooning out pieces onto a greased cookie sheet.  The recipe called for it to bake at 450 for 7-9 minutes.  I checked at 8 and they were ready at 10.  Perfectly golden on the bottom and a tough of golden on top.  I couldn't wait and had to sample one out of the oven..... it was good!!  Great, even!!  The salt, butter, and dough had a nice balance and the texture was spot on.  Oh my gosh, I actually baked something from scratch that tasted good!
I served it with a quick chicken stew type of thing.  Sort of like chicken pot pie filling but I serve it with biscuits (tastefully simple ones, usually).  We like it and its cheap, simple, and can be made with most anything fresh, frozen, or canned that you have on hand.  I sauteed some chopped celery, carrot, and onion until soft; added a handful each of frozen corn and peas, and a cup of cooked shredded chicken breast that I had in the freezer.  Mixed in a can of cream of celery soup, a little milk, and a little chicken broth and finished it with some seasoning for flavor.  Put on low and let it go while I cooked the biscuits, stirring it up every once in a while. 
We ate it all together and it was a perfect lunch for a snowy day!  I had half of the the biscuits left and put them in the freezer to toast up another day.  I really can't believe how quick and easy this was!  The whole recipe took about 10 minutes to prep and another 10 to cook.  I have a keeper!

Buttermilk Biscuits- How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
2 cups all purpose or cake flour
1 scant teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2-5 tablespoons cold butter (more is better)
1 cup buttermilk (can substitue plain yogurt)

1.  Preheat the oven to 450
2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl or food processor.  Cut the butter into bits and either pulse it in the processor (the easiest) or pick up a bit of the dry ingredients, rub them with the butter between your fingers, and drop them again.  All the butter should be thoroughly blended before proceeding.
3.  Use a large spoon to stir in the buttermillk or yogurt, just until the mixture forms a ball.  Drop tablespoons of dough onto a greased baking sheet. 
4.  Bake 7-9 minutes or until the biscuits are a beautiful golden brown.  Serve within 15 minutes for them to be at their best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment